Контрольная работа 4 Вариант 4
Дата сдачи: Апрель 2012
I. Переведите следующие причастия на английский язык:
горящий – сгоревший выбранный – выбираемый
падающий – упавший растущий – выросший
оставляющий – оставленный теряющий – потерянный
II. Переведите предложения на русский язык. Определите функцию Participle I иParticiple II.
1. Some people don't like plays taken fr om novels as they believe that a novel can seldom be made into a successful play.
2. All the engineers working at the Ministry of Foreign Trade must know foreign languages.
3. My grandmother sometimes went to sleep while knitting.
III. Задайте вопросы к выделенным словам.
1. Registering the letters the secretary was sending them down to be posted. (2)
2. On entering the room he introduced himself to all those present. (1)
3. Not knowing his address, I couldn't visit him. (1)
IV. Замените придаточные предложения причастным оборотом.
1. As I was very hungry, Icouldn't get asleep.
2. What's the name of the doctor who's examining that patient?
3. They live in a town which was built not long ago.
V. Переведите письменно текст на русский язык. Ответьте письменно на вопрос:
"Why did the rich American leave the picture on the wall as it was?"
He Was Not Sure About It
A rich American went to Paris and bought a picture by a modern artist. He had paid a lot of money for the picture, so he thought the picture was very good. He came to the hotel wh ere he was staying and wanted to hang the picture. To his surprise he could not say what was the top and what was the bottom.
So he thought of a plan. He hung the picture in the dining-room and invited the artist to dinner. When the artist came, the American did not tell him anything about the picture. When they began to eat their soup, the artist looked at the picture many times. When they began to eat their fish, he put on his glasses and looked at the picture again. When fruit was served, the artist got up and approached the picture to look at it more closely. When they began to drink their coffee, the artist told the American that this picture was upside down.
The American was surprised and wondered why the artist had not told it to him at once.
The artist had to admit that he himself had not been sure about it at first. So the rich American left the picture on the wall as it was. He thought that nobody would notice that it was upside down.
to his surprised – к своему удивлению
upside down - "вверх ногами"
had to admit – вынужден был признать
top - (зд.) верх
bottom- (зд.) нижняя часть картины